Friday, December 9, 2011

Car Seat Cover + Canopy {skulls and camo}

I recovered a carseat for this supremely talented cake artist / chef / all-around-Renaissance mother-to-be.  You should check out her cakes.  She's no longer baking for the public, but she could win any cake-off on Food Network.  A cake-off is like a face-off, but with cake.

I LOVE the fabrics she chose.  Camoflauge skulls.  Seriously, when have you seen a carseat with camouflage skulls?  Never.

Until now.

What makes the fabric choice doubly amusing is that the parents are the nicest, most peaceful adults you'll ever meet.  The fabric is as hard-edged as this baby's ever gonna get.


Baby Boy will rest on soft brown minky while peering up at the calming yoga phrases covering the underside of the canopy: peace and love, relax, breathe, stretch.

I also give myself kuddos because the skull fabric is a knit. Yes, stretchy knit. When I sent Mom-to-Be to the fabric store with her shopping list, it never occured to me to tell her to get a woven fabric, preferably from the quilting section. Duh me. Knits are so soft - no wonder she loved the fabric.

As you can see, the end result looks great. I practiced first, then sewed slowly. Several of the pieces, like the canopy, reversed to the yoga print, which is a tradtional woven quilter's cotton.  It was much easier to work with the knit + woven pinned together because the woven kept the knit from stretching as much.

I made a matching tent/canopy to protect Baby Boy from wind, rain, and peering eyes.  Notice the rounded corners and brown piping.  Details like that make such a difference to me.

The straps around the carseat handle hook together with velcro.  The buttons are purely decorative.

For more details on construction OR to see the pinkified carseat cover I made for my daughter, CLICK HERE.

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!!! Beautifully done!! I, personally, am a huge fan of skulls! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one, do you sell them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I've thought about it. My hesitation is how much I'd have to charge to make it worth my time. $100 + supplies to make the seat cover and canopy, another $20 + supplies to make the tent cover thing. Supplies for this can easily run $50 - $75 (most online places order fabric wholesale, whereas I'm buying 1 carseat worth of fabric for a custom job). So we're talking $200 for a set. I'm also somewhat limited on time to sew because my todddler keeps me busy (and she gets into my sewing stuff!).

    One option to look at is Nollie Covers. http://nolliecovers.com/ Some of her designs are more fru-fru than my style, but maybe she accepts custom orders too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I am just curiou to know if you used any interfacing or fabric on the underside of the brown minky to be able to sew holes for the straps. I have tried to sew a button hole in the minky before without interfacing when I was making a changing table pad cover and it didn't work. I don't have a serger and don't know if you do, but I thought I'd ask. Any info you have on how you were able to sew the holes for straps would be very appreciated! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rene, I did not use interfacing. I used batting underneath the minky to make the area softer for the baby. The cover is essentially a quilt in the shape of a carseat. When I sewed holes for the straps, I sewed through three layers all at once (minky, batting, and fabric on the bottom). The batting batting provided enough stabilization that I didn't need interfacing.

    Hope that helps. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also Rene, since minky doesn't frey, you don't have to use a super tight stitch around the holes. I drew lines where I wanted the stap holes to be, then did tight zig zag stitches up and down each side of the line (stitch width was probably a little wider than my default setting for zig zag, stitch length probably around 0.3 - 0.5), and made very wide stitches at each end (my machine's maximum stich width, stitch length ~0.1 - 0.2).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, so you made the seat cover to actually replace what was originally put in the seat by the company who made the seat (Graco or some other company)? OK, makes sense. How thick and at what density did you buy the batting? I still have some batting left over from when I did bumpers for the crib in our house and it's about 1 in. thick and heavy duty. You must've also used batting under all 3 sections on the seatcover too as it looks that it has been padded. Thanks in advance for any comments/info you have about what you did. It did turn out great. Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel, I was just curious to know what thickness of batting you used for the seat cover. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I used 10 oz. Maybe 8 oz? It's entirely your preference along with whatever thickness your machine can handle.

    I used batting on all three of the interior pieces. There's a piece of fabric that wraps around the edge of the carseat that I did not use with batting or backing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superior USA car covers are available at Coverland.com to safeguard your vehicle. With our sturdy covers, you can keep your car safe and secure.

    usa car covers

    ReplyDelete