Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pottery Barn Kids Nursery Knock-off Part 1: Stenciling the Walls

ETA: The nursery is done!  Check out the finished room HERE.  You can also find details on my DIY crib bedding HERE and my DIY wall art HERE.

Thought I'd pop in to show you what my husband's been working on lately.  We're expecting a baby girl in May.  Hooray!  So my husband's been busy painting Baby Girl's nursery. 

We're doing a knock-off of this Scallop Pique Nursery from Pottery Barn Kids.

Look at what a great job Ben's doing with those walls!

The first order of business was painting the base color.  Pottery Barn Kids teamed up with Benjamin Moore to pick their paint colors, meaning that every paint color you see in PBK stores or catalogs is a Benjamin Moore paint color and can be purchased from a Benjamin Moore retailer.  Our local PBK store gave us a free pack of paint swatches.  We picked the swatch that matched the photo in the catalog (Iced Lavender), then took it to be color matched for a less expensive brand of paint at our local hardware store.

The next order of business was creating a stencil.  I bought a 10" x 18" stencil blank, a.k.a. stencil film, at JoAnn.  (Click here to purchase one from Amazon.com.)  Then Ben worked his magic to design this file on the computer.  You can click on the file, print, and enlarge it until it measures 10" x 18".  Note: You only need one dot between each of the parenthesis-looking things (that's an official term, right?).  Ben originally printed his design with two dots to help him align the images correctly, then changed his mind once he realized he'd need to use a level anyway.

Ben designed the stencil, then printed the design on computer paper.  It printed onto two pages, which Ben taped together.  Sorry that I don't have a picture of this, but Ben placed the stencil blank on top of the printed design, then used an X-acto knife to cut through the stencil film, creating his stencil.  If these instructions are as clear as mud, click HERE to see a video from PBK about making your own stencil, paying special attention around the 1:00 mark.

Now our walls look like this.  Okay, really they look much more lavender than in this photo.  (See the photo of Ben near the top of the post.)  And this was as much of the wall as I could squish into the photo.  One day I'll figure out the whole lighting/wide-angle lens thing.  Still, you can see that my husband did a stinkin' awesome job on the stenciling.

Stay tuned for my DIY crib bedding.

21 comments:

  1. How awesome is that! I love the clean lines and pattern.. I might have to borrow the idea for my Son's room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on the PB website and after looking for similar patterns have found nothing. I can't believe I stumbled on a way to do exactly what I wanted to do. This is extremely helpful and your husband did an incredible job. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stumbled across your blog. I have one called "What I Made Yesterday" -- kind of funny! (Of course, I've been neglecting it for a while...)

    Anyway, had to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you guys are one crafty pair!! awesome job on those walls. i would never have enough guts to try something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the pattern, I think it will work well in my daughter's room when she transfers to her 'big-girl' room in the next couple years. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks awesome! I'm totally jealous of your wall. I can think of some good places to do that in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely cannot believe my mom just found your blog site! I've been drooling over this photo for a couple of months now trying to figure out how to do it because we're expecting a baby girl in August and i love it! This is amazing (and your husband is a prince)! thank you thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! I stumbled on your blog from google images, looking for a fun diy stencil. Using the image I made my own stencil and painted my bathroom today. Thanks so much! I'll post it on my blog in the next week or so...with links to your helpful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing idea i like these patters very much... thanks for the explanation you given in the post that's fine good look

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pattern....
    I have a website about http://www.royalbambino.com/ ......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I ran across your blog. We are trying to create a stencil of the same thing. How did you know the size to make the design?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I bought the Mia chandelier from PBK because I am obsessed with it...only to find that it has a plug in!! How did you get it attached to your ceiling? Did you have to hire someone? I am nervous to try it in case it doesn't work and then I've spent all this money. Could you please email me more details at zach.mikaela@gmail.com?? I would be forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quick Question: how long did it take for your husband to complete the stencil of the entire room? And did he use several templates at the same time to speed up the process or just used one template?

    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It took my husband two weeks' worth of nights to finish the room using one stencil. On a typical night, he'd complete two columns. Though we love the result, I don't think he'll ever stencil anything again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the design! What colour of white paint did you use for the stencil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was White Violet. It's on the same color strip as Iced Lavender.

      Delete
  17. Hi, I really love this room & trying to do my daughters room, do you know where I can get stencil or copy of it? Thanks

    ReplyDelete