Saturday, September 12, 2009

Teacher Gift Basket


Today's post is more assembled than made, but the gesture is still there. The felt basket is from the $1 spot at Target - love that place! I fancied it up with crinkly paper, added a few teacher-friendly gifts, and voila! Easy peasy.

I gave this basket to Brighton's new kindergarten teacher and assembled an identical basket for the other afternoon kindergarten teacher. The other teacher is doing a great job, but my heart goes out to her because she's a young teacher at a new school and this is her first year teaching kindergarten. Not only does she have a million things to do to get her classroom up and running, last week's parent hallway gossip was "She looks so young!" and "I hope she has some experience."

I remember way back when the PTA threw a welcome back luncheon for the school faculty during preplanning. I stood corned by all four PTA officers saying, "Oh my goodness, you look so young! I can't believe you're old enough to be a teacher. I would have guessed you're still a student." I was excited about finally having my very own class - but also nervous - and those ladies did not help. So I guess the second gift basket was my attempt to not be one of those ladies. And hey, what teacher couldn't use a little more love?

No comments:

Post a Comment